(1) Help minimise separation anxiety with your absence with ADAPTIL Diffuser
- Clinically proven to help dogs stay alone
- Continued use for at least one month is recommended
(2) Provide “separation anxiety survival kit”
- Comfortable and safe place where your dog can stay alone (safe also for your stuff!)
- Full of chew toys and other distractions to stay occupied (treats, music, radio)
(3) Departure and homecoming: discretion is a must!
- Try not to make a big deal about leaving. A simple cue can be useful to let them know.
- Provide food-stuffed toys to encourage licking behaviour (this is self-soothing).
- Consider a doggy camera so you can monitor them while you are out.
- When you return, wait until your dog is calm before interacting with them. Do not ignore them if they are distressed. If persistent then try a simple command followed by a treat to calm them down.
- Never punish your dog for any destruction, barking or mess in your absence. This would simply increase their worries and make it more likely to happen again.
- Every dog is different and for difficult cases we recommend speaking to a qualified dog trainer or behaviourist.
Tips to help minimise your dogs separation anxiety when left home alone
Your dog is, as are all dogs, a highly social animal, feeling better and more confident when you are around. However, you can’t take them with you everywhere.
How can you tell if your dog is having issues when home alone?
Since you are not there, how can you know what happens? Ask your neighbours, they might hear some whining or barking. Check your door frames for scratch marks. Also your dog might leave some very obvious signs, like destroying your shoes, furniture, or soiling the house. Get a camera: there are many “doggy CCTV” kits that you could buy and you can then watch them while you are out.
So what can you do?
- Prepare your absence by giving your dog plenty of exercise before, and plenty of distraction during your time away
- Plug in an ADAPTIL Diffuser to release “comforting messages” that will help your dog stay calm
- Avoid making a big deal about leaving and remain calm when you return
- Reward your dog when they settle down and are playing calmly with you around
Using an ADAPTIL Diffuser will help your dog feel calm and relaxed when you are away.
ADAPTIL Diffuser is clinically proven to reduce the signs of separation-related problems after just one month (when combined with advice from a behaviourist):
- 91% less destruction to furniture and belongings
- 75% less house soiling
- 65% less barking